1942 saw Jack continuing his training at Compton Bassett. It was here on January 9th that the Germans brought the war to Jack. He wrote to Pat about the event:

"I was on guard Tuesday night, guarding the main gates with a rifle and bayonet when the sirens went. I had only been on duty about 30 minutes. At 10.30 we heard a Jerry plane, all of a sudden a damned big whistle came out of the sky and little Jackie was almost doing his britches and I went down flat on my belly. Five seconds later and WHAM and I felt something hit my tin hat and a few things plowing through my gas cape. I was standing at my post when the patrol guard came up to see if I was alright. I was alright except for cuts to my hand and my greatcoat was torn down the middle of my back from a large piece of glass. It was a bit hectic but I got half a glass of whiskey for the experience from the guard officer".

On March 7th Jack was posted to RAF Digby in Lincolnshire to continue his general duties of patrolling for the RAF. Jack was getting frustrated at this as all his pals had been posted to complete their Wireless Operators courses. Pat was delighted that Jack was not flying as it meant that her husband was safe, apart from the Germans trying to blow old Jackie up on the ground!

As aircrew Jack had to understand the particulars of parachuting and as he wrote to Pat "There are two particular problems with the chutes that we are using, if they get wet they will not work and when they do it is likely they will open and smash you in the face". This news confused Pat and she wanted to know why her husband was now being trained to be a commando.

Jacks posting had finally come through and on November 18th he arrived at RAF Madley in Herefordshire to start his Wireless Operators course and start flying. His first plane was a Dominie, a four seater flying classroom.

1943 would turn out to be a busy and eventful year for Jack. It started as 1942 had finished with Jack at RAF Madely continuing his training. In March Jack moved to RAF Millom at Barrow in Furness. This would complete his training with No.4 Radio School with Jack flying on a Percival Proctor, a two seater trainer for Pilot and Wireless Operator.

For Freedom 138 Squadron
To the memory of F/Sgt JG Chadwick and the crew of Halifax LL306